Every home keeps an emergency tool kit to have in case you experience an emergency do-it-yourself situation. While you keep a tool kit for normal emergencies you should also keep a kit for your plumbing. Here is a list of 5 essentials that will come in handy for any home in case you have a plumbing emergency. If you keep these tools around your home in a kit, they will make plumbing emergencies a lot easier, and will hold you over until a plumbing expert can assist you.
- Plunger: Clogs in pipes and drains are virtually impossible to avoid and are something that no one likes to deal with. Plungers can make a clogged drain or pipe an easy fix by easily removing the contents. You will want to try to unclog the pipe or drain as soon as you notice slowing of your drain. If you wait too long this could cause additional damage creating more issues to your overall drainage system.
- Caulker: Caulking guns are essential to any home tool kit, as they serve a variety of uses in the kitchen, bathroom, and around windows, and doors. Caulk keeps air and water from getting into areas they should not be in. Always choose a caulk that is waterproof, acrylic free, and is flexible for the project you are working on. Caulk can be a great way to seal leaks and keep them from growing and getting worse.
- Pipe wrench: This is a great tool to have that will help with many plumbing needs. They help loosen and tighten pipes that could prove to be problematic for other tools. Pipe wrenches are designed to specifically help with all your plumbing needs, and are perfect for loosening, fixing, tightening, or replacing plumbing fixtures.
- Auger and a Snake: These are two great tools to have on hand in your tool kit, as they normally work together. An auger and a snake are used to manage the tougher clogs that a plunger can’t quite get to in the long run. An auger is specifically designed to handle the hard to remove clogs, this tool can hook on to the material and pull it out pipe releasing the clog and fixing the issue. The snake is more versatile and can be used on just about anything, such as, showers, tubs, and sinks.
- Plumber Tape: This tool is universal and comes with a variety of uses that make plumbing jobs a little easier. The thread acts as a filler and lubricant for the threads on joints and makes replacing and installing pipes a breeze and helps when unscrewing joints later. It gives you a better seal and acts as a lubricant.
Overall, these are just a few items that we suggest keeping in your home to make emergency plumbing problems easier for you to trouble shoot. If you feel like you need additional help you can always call the professionals at Team Plumbing at (719) 226-0711 to schedule your appointment today!